Sunday, February 21, 2016

My Verbs


This blog post concerns the verbs used in my first draft of work.


"verbs-picture-dictionary.jpg", Unknown Publication Date; Public Domain.


Title the blog post "My Verbs." You're going to think I'm crazy, but just go with me here.
I want you to go through your entire draft, from start to finish, and make a chronological list of every verb you employ in the project. That is, your list will start with the first verb in your piece and end with the last verb in your piece. And I want you to include multiple instances of the same verb. So if you use the verb 'said' 35 times, then your list will have 35 instances of the verb 'said.' [NOTE: Do not include verbs that come from direct quotations by a source, because you didn't 'author' those verbs, you're just reporting them. Focus only on the verbs that you authored].
Then, simply post the list of verbs in the blog post. That's right, just a list of verbs. Isn't the word 'verb' weird? Say it aloud ten times. It's so weird!
At the bottom of the list, I want you to include a tally of any verb that was repeated more than once. Indicate how many times each verb is used, from most repeated to least repeated. Skip any verbs you only use once.


Verbs used:

is
live
is
used
came
told
should
not
is
let
reaches
know
is
test
touch
have
let
use
place
spent
find
is
provide
is
hit
advance
have
hold
walk


Verbs repeated:
is – 6
will – 4
use – 4
let – 3
have – 2
live – 2

No comments:

Post a Comment