Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

This blog post concerns organizational variety in my essay.
"shutterstock_98686640.jpg"; 08/2012; wp-content; Public Domain.

1. How much variation is there in your sentence structures in the current draft? Can you spot any repetitive or redundant sentence patterns in your writing? Provide a cogent analysis of what the Rules for Writers reading tells you about your sentences.

There is good variation in my sentence structure. I would say that it's basically 50-50 whether I use compound sentences vs simple sentences. I also notice that I don't ramble as much as I used to in freshman and sophomore year of high school, so that's a nice change.

2. What about paragraph structures, including transitions between different paragraphs (or, for video/audio projects, different sections of the project)?

Transitions are non-existent. I don't introduce ideas that require transitions, but that may be a bad thing. I need to produce more specific details to incite the need for these transitions. For an essay format, you don't use cut-aways like in videos...

It's as simple as one sentence at the end of the first body, and one sentence at the start of the second, etc. etc.

3. What about vocabulary? Is there variety and flavor in your use of vocabulary? What are the main strengths and weaknesses of the draft's approach to vocabulary?

The main weakness is the lack of specific verbs, which was addressed in the previous blog posts. Adding more vivid actions and tapping into what people actually did or what they should "see" is extremely important in terms of interesting the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment