Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Pronoun Usage

This blog post is a response to blog post 5.5 about pronoun usage.
"Tired-worker.jpg", previews.123rf.com; Public Domain.

Look over the list of pronouns you published in Blog Post 5.5 and provide concise but specific answers to the following questions:
1. Based on your analysis, how effective is your pronoun usage in Project 1? What does actively examining your pronoun usage tell you about your writing syle?
2. Are there any instances in your project where you speak to or refer directly to the audience? If so, how effective are these moments at creating a bond or connection between audience and author? If not, why not? Explain why you're choosing to leave your audience out of your writing. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but you should be able to give a sophisticated explanation of your choices.

I used "we" a disproportionately high number of times throughout my essay. It helps establish rapport with the reader and drive the purpose forward. However, by seeing just how many times I said "we" it became evident that there is little in the way of people actually saying things and me just summarizing.

I constantly refer to the audience, but I think the larger issue is that I need to tell them something other than my opinion. A few more facts interjected here and there would really put a tight bind on my point. That's what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment