Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Writing Process


This blog focuses about how I pre-write, write, and revise.


jamesensorod. "pencil-paper" 03/29/2006 via Photobucket. Public Domain.

1. When I write, it is like water gushing out of a busted-open kitchen sink pipe. The words flow without restraint, and there usually is a lot of garbage that comes along with it. However, amongst this heap of trash is usually a gem - a really solid, creative topic that I can use to center my story about. I never pre-write; that is what a rough draft is for! I am also in the 1% of people where my first draft is usually the best - when I go over my writing, I censor details that make my writing style unique, which is bad.

2. I think everybody can agree that procrastination is not so much a character trait, but a situational thing. OK, I admit it, maybe I procrastinate. A lot. But who doesn't to some extent? It all comes down to priorities anyways. And I'm an extremely quick typer and thinker, so the extra time really isn't necessary. Too much time and I overthink the assignment.

However, I guess it could be healthier if I just dealt with the homework ahead of time and didn't wait until the VERY last minute. Oh well!

3. Yes, I find my writing styles to be very effective. Words are just a medium to transmit the thoughts and feelings of the speaker, and I feel that the more important issue is for the speaker to have substance first.

What I mean by this is that if you have a really solid idea, that the paper will write itself. The writing is the easy part, the hard part is the idea.

4. The whole purpose of elementary, middle, and high school is to introduce you to new styles of writing, focusing on pre-writing. However I am a firm proponent that your first draft is your most pure, uncensored attempt at writing, and that's what people want to hear. It's what you sound like on social media, to your friends over text, etc. 99% of the time you message someone you don't proofread!

My philosophy is to do it right the first time, and scan through the second time for conventions only, because your first take is the most true to your character and what you exhibit the majority of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment