Sunday, May 1, 2016

Production Reports 14a, 14b

This blog post concerns production reports for 14a and 14b.


Body:
This is where I talk about what happened on the first project. The first project was really solid, in my opinion… Until I submitted a rough, rough draft to the dropbox…. Dang.  I will talk also about how I realized the blog posts were not something I could procrastinate…. Recall the week when we had a rough draft AND blog work due. BAD!

Raw Content for Body 1:
“On the very first project, when we were told we had to pick something to write about within our major, I knew that put 90% of the thing I wanted to write about off the table. I enjoy English class because it’s somewhere that I don’t have to go full on math-science mode. Don’t get me wrong, I love math and science, but not here. After I had chosen a topic that semi-suited my interests, I slammed together a bunch of paragraphs about how artificial intelligence is something we shouldn’t fear. My essay was pretty solid. I made my finishing touches, submitted, ready to get an A or a B at lowest. I was SHOCKED to see a 60% a few weeks later. Mortified, I opened the dropbox, to see that it was my ROUGHEST form of all the rough drafts I created. Lesson learned – do it right the first time. Don’t space out when submitting a paper, because that could be the thing to bite you in the back.

Body 2:
This is where I talk about how disastrous my interviews went. I conducted both emails over email. One of the professors wasn’t available. Like an idiot, I emailed him the questions I made for the other specific professor. He was grossly offended, and it reflected in his email. I could feel the passive aggression radiating through his voice when I told him I was impressed with his COLLEAGUE’S work!


“When I heard we had to interview somebody, I was nervous. How was I going to speak intelligently to a PhD in electrical engineering when I struggle to write 5 lines of code on my own, have no experience with circuit boards, and haven’t even passed baby land math yet? After I sorted the details out, I realized I probably couldn’t speak intelligently and would be a waste of their time to go in person. So, I decided to do an email interview. After emailing 5 or so professors, I already had 2 lined up that I said I was going to on the blog work. One of the guys I intended to said he couldn’t do it, and the other said he could. I completely spaced, and I sent questions I made for the guy who couldn’t do it to a back up. And it was a MAJOR screw up! They were extremely focused questions about self-repairing mechanisms, completely proprietary to this one man’s work and theses. I had no choice but to backpedal awkwardly, and I never spoke after I got the answers to the interview. That’s why I hardly incorporated quotes into my QRG, but still got an A!”

No comments:

Post a Comment